US Stock market Timings as per Indian Time: The economic health of the country is dependent on the stock market.
The world as a whole is considered to be a global economy where all trade takes place at a global level.
Every investor wishes to have an opportunity to trade all over the globe by using the stock market as a medium.
A stock market is independent and it has its own time of operation.
Every country has its own stock market timings.
US Stock Market Time:
- The US stock market is based on the Eastern Time Zone (ET).
- This ET has got two variables as follows:
Don’t Forget to Check: Best Forex Trading (Hours)
- EST stands for Eastern Standard Time Zone.
- It is followed in New York, Washington DC, Florida, and other US cities in the autumn and winter months.
- This time is 5 hours behind Coordinated Universal Time (UTC-5) or Greenwich Mean Time.
- EDT stands for Eastern Daylight Time (EDT).
- It is followed in the summer and spring months in US cities.
- This time is 4 hours behind Coordinated Universal Time (UTC-4) or Greenwich Mean Time.
Stock Market Origin:
- The first official stock exchange was set up in the Netherlands in 1602.
- It was established in Amsterdam.
- During that time, it was the world’s most important trading hub, which ran under the auspices of the vast Dutch East India Company.
- When the stock market conditions are fair, stock market prices will maintain a steady rate of growth.
US stock market time or trading hours:
- The US has many stock indices, but the major ones are the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and NASDAQ.
- The first one is based on New York’s Wall Street and is the largest stock exchange in the world in terms of market capitalization.
- The NYSE is owned by the Intercontinental Exchange (ICE).
- ICE is itself listed on the NYSE.
- NASDAQ is the second-largest stock exchange and is located at One Liberty Plaza in New York City.
- The NYSE was set up in 1792, whereas NASDAQ was founded in 1971.
- The market timings are as follows:
|Timings||NYSE||Indian Time||NASDAQ||Indian Time|
|Pre-market trading hours||4:00 AM to 9:30 AM (ET)||1:30 PM to 7:00 PM (IST)||4:00 AM to 9:30 AM (ET)||1:30 PM to 7:00 PM (IST)|
|Normal trading hours||9:30 AM to 4:00 PM (ET)||7:00 PM to 1:30 AM (IST)||9:30 AM to 4:00 PM (ET)||7:00 PM to 1:30 AM (IST)|
|After-hours trading||4:00 PM to 8:00 PM (ET)||1:30 AM to 5:30 AM (IST)||4:00 PM to 8:00 PM (ET)||1:30 AM to 5:30 AM (IST)|
US stock market Holidays 2022:
The following is the list of the holidays in the US stock market:
|New Year’s Day||January 01||Saturday|
|Martin Luther King, Jr. Day||January 17||Monday|
|Washington’s Birthday||February 21||Monday|
|Good Friday||April 15||Friday|
|Memorial Day||May 30||Monday|
|Independence Day||July 04||Monday|
|Labor Day||September 05||Monday|
|Thanksgiving Day||November 24||Thursday|
|Christmas Day||December 26 (Christmas holiday observed)||Monday|
Note: Christmas Day will be observed on December 26, 2022, because December 25, 2022 is a Sunday.
Few facts about the US stock market time:
- Some of the notable facts of the US stock market time are as follows:
- Immediately after the terrorist attack of September 11th, 2001, the NYSE was closed for 4 straight sessions.
- It was a Tuesday, and the operations resumed on September 17, 2001, a Monday.
- On Monday, October 29th, 2012, the NYSE was again closed for 2 days due to the destruction caused by Hurricane Sandy.
- This storm has caused damage in excess of USD 70 billion-not just in the US but also in other countries.
- NYSE also proposed moving its operations online temporarily due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Also Read: MCX Holidays 2021
We hope that the above blog has given you the details about US Stock market Timings as per Indian Time.
Trading Fuel is our website for blogs where we give you knowledge about finance, economics, stock markets, intraday trading, and technical analysis. Stay tuned with us for more such blogs.